This versatile compote can be used as a topping for fish, chicken, beef, bruschetta, salad greens or by itself as a side dish hot or room temp.Read More
- 2 lbs. thin asparagus spears (2 bunches), tough ends trimmed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded, and minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 1 1/2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbs. extra‐virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Adjust oven rack to uppermost position. Heat broiler. Toss asparagus with oil and salt and pepper, then lay spears in single layer on heavy rimmed baking sheet. Broil about 4 inches from heating element, shaking pan halfway through to turn spears, until asparagus is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Cool asparagus 5 minutes and arrange on serving dish. Whisk tomato, shallot, lemon juice, basil, and olive oil in small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over asparagus and service immediately.
Yields 4-6 Servings