- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2/3 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, separated
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cored (or use good quality canned – (Muir Glen)
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1½ tsp. red-wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil (or mix of cilantro, basil, flat-leaf parsley)
- Kosher salt/freshly ground black pepper
Butterfly chicken breast by making horizontal cut through center of thickest long side of breast. Cut almost through each breast. Open breast like a book, cover with plastic wrap and pound to flatten (with rolling pin, pan bottom) to an even thickness.
Marinade for chicken: Combine pesto with 2 TBS. lemon juice and rub over chicken in nonreactive dish or plastic bag. Set aside for one hour on the counter or place in frig till ready to grill.
Vinaigrette for tomatoes:
Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds, and coarsely chop. Place in bowl. In another small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, basil, remaining 1 TBS. lemon juice, 1tsp. salt and pepper.
Pour this over tomatoes and combine. Salt/pepper to taste. Heat grill to high. Or use a frying pan, med. hi heat and lightly coated with olive oil. Remove chicken from pesto – dab away excess marinade.
Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt. Grill or pan fry, turning once, till golden on both sides and cooked – 4 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken to platter, serve hot or room temp. Spoon tomatoes over chicken.