- 2¼ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, halved horizontally, thinly sliced.
- 3 TBS. Olive oil
- 2 Onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, ribs, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2¼ tsp. freshly grated, peeled fresh ginger
- ¾ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4½ Tbs.soy sauce – low salt
- 4½ Tbs. rice vinegar (unflavored)
- 2¼ tsp. cornstarch, mixed with 1½ TBS. water
- 2 heads Boson lettuce leaves*
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
Lightly sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1½ TBS. olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Add ½ of the chicken breasts. Cook stirring constantly till opaque throughout, 2-4 minutes. Transfer to plate. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Add remaining 1½ TBS. of olive oil to pan with onions and bell peppers.* Cook, stirring constantly till onions are tender and golden – 6 minutes. Reduce heat if onions brown too fast. Heat should be on medium – add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
Cook stirring until fragrant – 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar and cornstarch mixture. Remove from heat. Add chicken and its juices, toss to coat. Serve in lettuce cups.
Tip: * Wrapping chicken in lettuce keeps the calorie and carbohydrate count down. You can also use lower fat tortillas or place chicken over rice (brown).
Add more Asian vegetable like sautéed snap peas, endamame, baby bok choy, bean sprouts, green onions and family favorites to this dish.
Shopping: Onions, garlic, fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch, boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 2 large red bell peppers, Boston lettuce or low fat whole grain tortillas
Tools: Cutting board, knife, measuring spoons and cups, large nonstick skillet, wooden spoon, tongs, microplane or zester, large serving plate.