- ½ lb. or 2 thick slices day-old whole-grain bread
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil (or torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1 lb. center-cut salmon, skinned and cut into 4 portions (coat each piece with light spray of olive oil, ¼ tsp. kosher salt and freshly ground pepper).
- 1½ Tbs. red-wine vinegar
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed, chopped
- ½ tsp. kosher salt (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper (more to taste)
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium. Brush bread on both sides with 2 Tbs. olive oil (or less). Grill until lightly charred on both sides – 3 to 4 minutes. The bread could also be toasted till golden in a 350 degree oven for approx. 15 minutes. Let bread cool slightly, cut into 1 inch cubes.
Whisk olives, vinegar, capers and 1/8 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil till combined. Add bread, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil. Toss to combined. Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper. Either spray the salmon lightly with oil or oil the grill rack. Grill salmon till cooked through – 4 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.