- 3 acorn squash (about ¾ to 1 lb each)
- 5 oz. chicken, turkey or pork sausage (you can buy links and remove skins to crumble into mix.)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. (or more to taste) ground cumin
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ -1 tsp. salt
- Hot red pepper sauce to taste
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare large baking sheet with cooking spray or grease with oil. Rinse squash, cut in half horizontally. Scoop out seeds, toss or save to cook. Lightly salt squash. Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake until softened, approximately 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in large, greased, preheated skillet (medium heat) cook sausage. Break sausage into pieces while cooking until browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper – cook stirring often till softened. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt and hot sauce, incorporating any brown bits from bottom of pan. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes. Once squash are tender, remove from oven, turn over so cut ends are facing up. Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
Generously fill squash halves with bean, sausage, tomato mixture. Top with shredded cheese. On baking sheet, bake squash halves until filling is heated thoroughly and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve with salad greens, tortillas, brown rice and/or slices of avocado on the side.