- 2 cups seeded, did ripe tomatoes – 2 – 3 medium tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions (white and green parts) thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1½ tsp – 2 tsp. granulated sugar (depending on sweetness of tomatoes)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. minced chipotle (from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce)
- 4 bones, skinless chicken breast halves (1½ lbs-2 lbs.)
If using a grill, prepare a medium-hot fire. Otherwise use an indoor grill pan. In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, lime juice, 1 Tbs. oil, 1½ tsp. sugar, lime zest. Use remaining sugar if tomatoes are not sweet. Season tomatoes with 1½ tsp. kosher salt and ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper or to taste.
In another medium bowl, mix chipotle, remaining oil, ½ tsp kosher salt, ¼ tsp pepper. Trim chicken of fat. Remove tenderloins and save for another use. Use flat side of meat mallet or bottom of a heavy pan to pound each chicken breast to an even 1/2 inch thickness, Add chicken to chipotle mixture and toss well to coat.
Preheat grill pan till hot. Lay chicken into pan and cook until cooked on first side-edges will turn opaque – 2-3 minutes. Flip breasts, continue to cook until chicken is cooked through – another 2-3 minutes. Transfer chicken to clean cutting boards. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice each breast crosswise on the diagonal into ½ inch thick slices. Arrange chicken on a platter. Top with salsa.
Tips: Can be served cold or at room temperature over salad greens or wrapped in a corn or flour tortilla. Make it ahead by grilling chicken, cooling and refrigerate up to 2 days. Slice before serving with salsa.
Salsas ingredient may be prepared up to to 2 hours ahead-but mix just before serving.