- 8 oz. cream cheese – room temperature
- ½ lb. unsalted butter – room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar PLUS 9 Tbs. (Sugar is divided among the dough, fillings and topping).
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts - finely chopped
- ½ cup apricot preserves, pureed in food processor OR warmed in a saucepan till spreadable
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs. milk for egg wash
- Optional: 1 cup shaved bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate (8 oz.) shaved
- Turbinado sugar
Cream butter and cream cheese until light. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix. At low mixer speed, add flour and mix until just combined. Dump dough onto a well –floured board. Cut in quarters. Wrap each piece in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Filling(s): Combine 6 Tbs. granulated sugar, brown sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, raisins and walnuts
And/or ¼ cup sugar combined with 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate shavings or use 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate shavings – no added sugar.
Toppings: Combine 3 Tbs. granulated sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon or sprinkle Turbinado sugar. On a well-floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a 9 inch circle. Spread 2 Tbs. apricot preserves evenly over the dough surface. Sprinkle with ½ cup of filling. Press filling lightly into dough.
Cut circle into 12 equal wedges (Cut whole circle into quarters, then each quarter into thirds.) Starting at wide edge, roll up each wedge. Points tucked under, place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment or well greased pan. (If you have time chill cookies for 1 hour in frig.)
Brush each cookie with egg wash. Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar topping or Turbinado sugar onto cookies. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack till cool.
Yield 4 dozen cookies